A Big Question: “What do I take at university?”

Share this post

In Kindergarten we all picked a future profession, someone we wanted to be or something we wanted to pursue. Over the years this answer has change at least a couple times for most people, but especially for me. Throughout the years my answer has changed from doctor to scientist; from police officer to lawyer; from paleontologist to anthropologist; from psychologist to nurse.  

When I applied to Thompson Rivers University, I had no clue what I wanted to pursue throughout my post-secondary education. ABSOLUTELY. NO. CLUE. So, like I did when I was a kid, I copied my sister. I enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts program at TRU with the hopes of majoring in psychology just like my sister did. However, like a creature of habit, I changed my mind. It was Fall 2021, after my 1st year of university, and I decided to apply to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at TRU and pursue the profession of nursing. A complete 180, but a decision that was mine. This decision was a big one and there were a few things I had to keep in mind:  

• There’s always going to be someone telling you what to do or what to be, but it’s truly up to you to decide. 
  • It doesn’t matter how many times you change your mind; drop or add a class; and/or change your program or major/minor. It only matters if you’ve learned something throughout the process. 
  • It’s okay to be indecisive, as long as you are willing to test things out.   
  • Try things out, even if it’s something you may not like.  
  • TRU has a ton of courses to choose from, don’t be scared to branch out. 
  • Once you know, you know. You will find your interest/niche. 
  • You are not alone; most people are also trying to figure it as well.  
  • It’s a big decision, don’t be in a hurry to decide. 
  • You don’t need to make a definite decision right away; you have time to decide.  

Don’t stress yourself out over the big picture. Be kind to yourself and enjoy this time of exploration at TRU! 

Future Student Ambassador, Cheltey – Bachelor of Science in Nursing. “A Big Question: “What do I take at university?”, 24 Nov. 2022