Now that we’ve introduced the Future Students Office, it’s time to introduce a team of highly involved current students, the Future Student Ambassadors! This dynamic group of pupils is here to help future students discover all that TRU has to offer by sharing their experiences and journeys. They work with the Future Students Office to promote TRU through on and off campus events, virtual information sessions, high school visits, presentations, open houses, and career and education fairs across British Columbia, Canada and more.

The ambassadors are a welcoming bunch, so never fear to ask them questions! Want to see our Future Student Ambassadors in action? Check out our campus tour here!

Anjali

More about Anjali

Kamloops, BCBachelor of Arts
Advice you would give a first-year student

The best advice I could give to a first-year student would be to not be afraid to ask questions and get extra help if needed.

What's next for you after graduation?

After I graduate, I would love to get right into my teaching career, as well as go and travel.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

My favorite thing about Kamloops is the beautiful sunsets.

How do you take your caffeine?

My Starbucks order is an iced caramel macchiato, light ice, extra caramel, lactose-free milk, upside-down.

My TRU must-do is…

Go to the Wolfpack games! You should definitely support our teams but they are also significant social events to meet new people.

Arnica

More about Arnica

Kamloops, BCBachelor of Arts, Communications and New Media, Marketing minor

Do not feel the need to declare a major at this point, and take courses that genuinely interest you.

What's next for you after graduation?

ENGLAND!! After graduation in the spring of 2024, I will be going back to England to work or do a master's degree (or both).

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

The weather.

How do you take your caffeine?

FREE!

My TRU must-do is…

Visit Common grounds (specifically, order a chai latte).

Ash

More about Ash

Calgary, ABRespiratory Therapy Diploma

Get out of your comfort zone and try to meet as many new people as possible.

What's next for you after graduation?

Working as a respiratory therapist in a hospital while finishing a bachelor's degree in health sciences.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

The hikes and views throughout the city.

How do you take your caffeine?

Flat white from Starbucks

My TRU must-do is…

Walking around campus with your friends and taking in the amazing views.

Bensly

More about Bensly

Providenciales, Turks & CaicosBachelor of Science, Computer Science

Whenever you get the chance, get involved on campus and interact with more people, and be sure to find time to enjoy yourself and have fun with friends! It's all about balance.

What's next for you after graduation?

The afterparty.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

It's very laid back and moves at a pace that's perfect for studying.

How do you take your caffeine?

Timmies -Mocha Iced Capp with 2 pumps of espresso in the winter

My TRU must-do is…

Discover student perks and discounts, and check out LEAP activities.

Chantel

More about Chantel

Kamloops, BCBachelor of Arts, Communications and New Media

I strongly recommend making the most of all the resources that TRU has to offer and taking advantage of office hours. It's completely understandable to feel intimidated when seeking assistance or seeking answers to your questions. However, I assure you that overcoming that initial fear is immensely rewarding. The professors and staff at TRU are genuinely committed to helping students, and they ensure that the process is smooth and effortless. It's natural to feel apprehensive about stepping outside your comfort zone, but I can confidently say that you'll be grateful to yourself in the end. Trust me.

What's next for you after graduation?

After graduation, I'm looking forward to diving into a career that revolves around connecting with people and making a tangible difference in the world. The sheer abundance of opportunities out there leaves me brimming with excitement and hope for the journey ahead.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

Despite being a lifelong resident of Kamloops, it's astonishing how there's always more to discover about this remarkable city. Kamloops, with its abundance of hidden gems, continues to surprise me, from hiking trails and charming cafes to delightful boutiques that never cease to amaze. But what truly warms my heart is the incredibly welcoming 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Kamloops, who diligently strive to create an inclusive and accepting environment for people from all walks of life. Their efforts contribute to making this city a haven of diversity and belonging for everyone.

How do you take your caffeine?

Can't go wrong with a half-sweet iced vanilla latte.

My TRU must-do is…

Take advantage of the events held around campus! They are fantastic opportunities to make friends and socialize with like-minded people. Plus, they're always a blast!

Anything else you'd like to mention?

Going to TRU is truly a unique experience. This place is wacky and fun, yes. But it's also a fantastic resource for furthering your education and developing into the person you want to be. There are opportunities here that you can't find anywhere else.

Karolina

More about Karolina

White Rock, BCArchitectural & Engineering Technology Diploma

Concentrate on developing balanced priorities, social skills, and good academic habits. Now is the time to learn skills that will be needed in your chosen career when you graduate. Communication is the single most important skill for life success, regardless of your field of study or major.

What's next for you after graduation?

After graduation, I plan to travel in the summer months to Europe as it has always been on my bucket list. Following that, by then I hope I will know what kind of job/field I would like to work in and find some work that is more permanent.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

My favorite thing about Kamloops would have to be the outdoors. From Sun Peaks, Riverside Park, and many more great places, Kamloops has so much to offer and it really is a real-life outdoor playground for all ages.

How do you take your caffeine?

I actually hate coffee but tea is where it's at.

My TRU must-do is…

Visit Scratch Cafe, TRU Wolf Pack games, and attend the back-to-school barbeque. All of these places and activities are a great way to meet new people.

Anything else you'd like to mention?

Get out there, join clubs, go out, get involved. By doing these things you will meet lots of people and friends, as well as a great way to create new connections and explore everything TRU has to offer!

Kayla

More about Kayla

Kamloops, BCBachelor of Science

Some advice I would give a first-year student is to prepare for exams well in advance, as well as to not be afraid to ask questions if ever in need of assistance. Also, try to become involved in lots of extra-curriculars on campus!

What's next for you after graduation?

I hope to be admitted into medical school to eventually pursue a career as a pediatric oncologist.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

My favourite thing about Kamloops is the vibrant, welcoming, and diverse community. Kamloops is full of authentic people and adventures - whether it be skiing fresh powder on the slopes, hiking up mountains with spectacular views, or dining at one of our highly rated restaurants, you can always find a great group of people to come along and further enhance your experience.

How do you take your caffeine?

Matcha latte.

My TRU must-do is…

Wolfpack games! They are so fun and exciting to watch - definitely a must-do as a TRU student.

Anything else you'd like to mention?

I look forward to meeting TRU's new and prospective students, and best of luck to everyone as we enter another academic year!

Kira

More about Kira

Kamloops, BCBachelor of Arts

Get involved in as much as you can, join clubs as they are a great way to make friends, and take advantage of all the resources TRU has!

What's next for you after graduation?

Grad trip to Europe.

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

The mountains and nature.

How do you take your caffeine?

Anything! Lattes are my go-to coffees.

My TRU must-do is…

Take a field course! Field courses are an opportunity for short term travel at TRU while still getting credits. Typically, they are 2-6 weeks and most of the work is done when you return. I went to Japan on a 2-week fielf course. We stayed in four different cities including Kamloops’ sister city, Uji. This was a great opportunity to meet new people at TRU and experience a different culture while learning about it as well.

Mesha

More about Mesha

Merritt, BCBachelor of Tourism Management

Listen to your heart, but also your head and meet in the middle with a compromise.

What's next for you after graduation?

Either moving to a different city in a different country to put my educational skills into practice, while gaining a bit more life experience, or stay in BC and work on opening my own business!

Favourite thing about Kamloops?

How inexpensive it is to live here compared to other major cities in BC.

How do you take your caffeine?

Just a regular 1 and 1 coffee from Tim's, matcha lattes are great from Starbucks.

My TRU must-do is…

Push yourself to get to know some of your international classmates! Attend a WolfPack game! Join an intramural sport.

Search news stories